Welcome to Lisbon in February, where the cobblestones glisten under the winter sun and the air is crisp with the promise of spring. As you wander through this historical gem, you’ll find that February’s chill brings its form of warmth to the city. Let’s unwrap the layers of Lisbon this month, from the cozy corners in Alfama to the bustling streets of Baixa.
Why Lisbon in February?
February in Lisbon is special. Fewer crowds mean more intimate moments with the city’s ancient wonders, from São Jorge Castle to the Jerónimos Monastery. The weather is mild, perfect for leisurely strolls through the city’s picturesque neighborhoods or along the Tagus River.
Where to Stay in Lisbon’s Heart
Charming Alfama: Stay amidst the ancient streets where Lisbon’s heart beats the strongest. Look for guesthouses with a view over the Tagus.
Bustling Baixa: Stay here for easy access to Lisbon’s main attractions, with plenty of shops and restaurants at your doorstep. We love this area and our favorite Lisbon hotel of all time is Lisbon Art Stay.
Trendy Chiado & Bairro Alto: Perfect for those who want a slice of Lisbon’s vibrant nightlife and cultural scene.
Belém: Ideal for a quieter stay near some of Lisbon’s most iconic monuments.
Getting Around Lisbon in February
The best way to get around Lisbon is by metro, tram, or bus. Purchase a reloadable Viva Viagem card for easy access across all public transit. Walking is also a great option thanks to Lisbon’s compact city center. Consider booking a rideshare service or calling a taxi to access farther neighborhoods.
Culinary Journey Through Lisbon
Discover Lisbon’s culinary delights, from the iconic pastéis de nata at Pastéis de Belém to the freshest seafood dishes along the coast. Explore local markets for an authentic taste of Portuguese flavors. Recommended markets include Mercado da Ribeira and Mercado de Campo de Ourique.
Exploring the Sights – What to Do in Lisbon in February
Visit iconic landmarks like the Belém Tower and São Jorge Castle. Delve into art at the Berardo Collection Museum or catch a live Fado performance for a truly Lisbon experience. Don’t miss a day trip to Sintra or Cascais for a quick escape to fairy-tale palaces or seaside charm. Consider booking a Best of Lisbon small group tour to easily see the top sights with a guide.
February Festivities and Events
Carnival: Join in the colorful parades and lively parties that take place in Lisbon, especially in Torres Vedras and Sesimbra. Some Lisbon nightclubs also organize costume ball parties, perfect for a night of festive fun.
Fado Festival: Immerse yourself in the soulful sounds of Portuguese fado music during this annual festival. It’s a fantastic way to experience the country’s rich musical heritage.
Lisbon’s Half Marathon: Challenge yourself with a run through the city’s scenic routes during the Lisbon Half Marathon. It’s a unique way to experience Lisbon’s beauty while keeping fit.
In February, Lisbon offers a variety of events and festivals for visitors to enjoy. Some of the notable events and activities include:
- Valentine’s Day and Carnival: Celebrate Valentine’s Day with a romantic cruise on the Tagus River and experience the vibrant Lisbon Carnival, which features parades, concerts, and costume contests, with the main focal point in the Parque das Nações area.
- Museum Visits: February is an ideal time to visit Lisbon’s museums, as it is considered a month of low season, allowing for a more intimate experience without the crowds.
- Other Activities: Visitors can also explore the São Jorge Castle, take a tram ride through the city, and enjoy the slightly warmer temperatures and cultural attractions that Lisbon has to offer.
Booking Your Lisbon Stay
The best way to book accommodation in Lisbon is through rental platforms like Expedia, Vrbo, and Booking.com. Look for listings in your preferred neighborhood that match your budget and amenities. Narrow your search by property type, room size, ratings, and more. Read reviews from previous guests to help select the perfect place to stay.
I also love comparing bundle deals on Expedia for a two-night stay in my first city plus a flight. Sometimes, I find better flight deals like this.
Romantic Hotels in Lisbon for Valentine’s Day 2024
- Memmo Alfama – Design Hotel: This hotel offers stunning views of Pena Palace and the Castle of the Moors, making it an ideal romantic getaway.
- Sintra Boutique Hotel: Conveniently located in the village center, this hotel offers romantic views of Sintra National Palace, perfect for a cozy and intimate stay.
- Pousada de Lisboa – Small Luxury Hotels Of The World: Located on the northwest corner of Terreiro do Paço, this five-star hotel blends tradition and modernity, offering rooms with views overlooking the square2.
- Corpo Santo Lisbon Historical Hotel: This hotel is also highly recommended for a romantic stay in Lisbon, offering a blend of history and modern comfort.
These hotels provide an ideal setting for a romantic Valentine’s Day in Lisbon, with their intimate atmosphere and special amenities.
Shopping in Lisbon in February
Explore a mix of traditional shops and modern boutiques in neighborhoods like Chiado and Príncipe Real, known for local fashion and design. Visit local markets like Feira da Ladra and Mercado de Campo de Ourique for unique finds. Don’t miss out on Portuguese souvenirs like decorative tiles, cork products, porcelain, wine, olive oil, and tinned fish.
We love shopping at Zara and H&M while in Lisbon.
Navigating Lisbon – Tips and Tricks
Get around Lisbon with ease using various public transit options. Dress in layers to adapt to the day’s changing temperatures and always have a comfortable pair of shoes for those hilly streets.
Nightlife in Lisbon
From traditional Fado houses to bustling bars in Bairro Alto, Lisbon’s nightlife has something for everyone. Enjoy a night out with soulful music or dance till dawn in one of the city’s lively clubs.
We love the live music at Lisbon Art Stay nightly, plus they also have a great happy hour.
Relaxing in Lisbon’s Green Spaces
Find tranquility in Lisbon’s parks, such as Eduardo VII Park or Jardim Botânico Tropical. These green havens offer a peaceful break from the bustling city life.
Top Restaurants in Lisbon for Families
Chapitô à Mesa: Enjoy a meal with stunning city views at this family-friendly tapas bar and restaurant.
Café do Rio: A spacious spot known for its gourmet hamburgers and vegan options, perfect for the whole family.
Time Out Market Lisboa: Choose from over 30 eateries in this bustling food hall, offering something for every taste.
Cantinho do Avillez: Experience casual fine dining with dishes crafted by renowned chef Jose Avillez.
Pizzaria Luzzo Telheiras: Delight in delicious pizzas at this kid-friendly pizzeria.
Licorita. Super affordable restaurant in Lisbon for families. The line is worth the wait.
Ponto Final – the best restaurant across the river. Learn more about Ponto Final Restaurant.
Top Restaurants in Lisbon for Couples
Antikuario Cafe: Dine in an intimate setting offering Mediterranean and European cuisine.
Pastanaga: Enjoy a romantic evening with delicious food and a cozy ambiance.
A Taberna Do Mar: Savor seafood dishes in a setting perfect for a special night out.
Valle Flor: Indulge in a luxurious dining experience with Portuguese and international cuisine.
Things to do in Lisbon in February
In February, Lisbon is a charming time to visit, offering a unique blend of mild weather, fewer crowds, and vibrant cultural experiences. Here are some distinctive activities and sights you might enjoy:
1. Explore the Alfama District:
- Fado Nights: Venture into the heart of Alfama’s narrow, cobbled streets and find a cozy Fado house. Enjoy a night of soulful Portuguese music and traditional cuisine. February’s cooler evenings are perfect for the warm, intimate atmosphere inside a Fado restaurant.
2. Attend Carnaval Festivities:
- Lisbon’s Carnaval: While not as famous as Brazil’s, Lisbon’s Carnaval offers parades, costumes, and parties. It’s a colorful, lively time to visit, with events typically happening around Shrove Tuesday in February.
3. Visit the Oceanário de Lisboa:
- Indoor Exploration: One of the largest indoor aquariums in Europe, the Oceanário is perfect for a February visit. Explore marine life from around the world in a comfortable, indoor environment.
4. Enjoy the Miradouros:
- Sunset Views: February days can be clear and bright. Visit the various Miradouros (viewpoints) like Miradouro da Senhora do Monte for stunning city vistas, often with fewer tourists around.
5. Sample Seasonal Delicacies:
- Gastronomy: Try seasonal Portuguese dishes like ‘Cozido à Portuguesa’, a hearty winter stew. Local markets and festivals might also offer seasonal treats and warm drinks.
6. Visit the Belém District:
- Historical Monuments: Explore the Jerónimos Monastery and the Belém Tower with fewer crowds. Don’t miss the famous ‘Pastéis de Belém’, a custard tart that’s particularly comforting in the cooler weather.
7. Celebrate Valentine’s Day:
- Romantic Settings: If you’re there mid-February, enjoy romantic spots like the gardens of Quinta da Regaleira in Sintra, a short trip away. Lisbon’s charming streets and cozy restaurants offer a romantic backdrop.
8. Take a Day Trip to Sintra:
- Palaces and Castles: The cooler weather is ideal for hiking up to the Pena Palace or the Moorish Castle. Enjoy the misty, fairy-tale atmosphere of Sintra without the summer crowds.
9. Explore Indoor Markets and Shops:
- LX Factory: This industrial complex turned trendy market space is filled with unique shops, restaurants, and art. It’s a great place to explore on a chilly day.
Ready to fall in love with Lisbon this February? Share your thoughts, plans, or questions below. And don’t forget to book your Lisbon journey through our affiliate links. For more travel tips and inspiration, keep exploring Fuse Travels! Also, check out this Lisbon blog post by Aline Lowry.